The EPMF (European Precious Metals Federation, www.epmf.be) is the Brussels-based association representing the European precious metals industry. The EPMF was formed in June 2006 to set a reinforced working structure aimed at increasing the commitment, efficiency, credibility and legitimacy of the European precious metals industry in all its advocacy activities at European level. The EPMF is a member of Eurométaux.
The core of the EPMF activities is related to Sustainability and Chemicals Management (REACH and CLP compliance for precious metals and their compounds, and Rhenium substances).
To support the scientific and technical activities of the association mainly in the field of Chemicals Management, the EPMF seeks to recruit a Scientific Manager.
Responsible for providing scientific and technical advice to the REACH and CLP programme: maintenance of the REACH dossiers (Evaluation, Risk Management and Classification) and other regulatory activities covering precious metals and rhenium substances.
The Scientific Manager reports to the Secretary General and serves the interests of the association and all its projects. (S)he has the capability to work independently and in close co-operation with the other staff members, and especially with the Senior Scientific Manager. (S)he contributes to the development and maintenance of the EPMF as a centre of excellence in chemicals management. (S)he will support the EPMF as an interface between policy makers, regulatory authorities, and the precious metals industry on scientific and technical topics.
- Provide and develop scientific/technical support and input to the EPMF members and specialists’ networks in chemicals management, including EU REACH and sustainability.
- Facilitate the preparation (e.g.: selection of and coordination between external partners, review of reports or assessment) and implementation of scientific/technical data in the relevant contexts like EU REACH and sustainability.
- Manage external partners providing services to the EPMF (e.g. consultants or research organisations).
- Ensure adequate communication towards the EPMF membership, external partners and authorities on scientific and technical topics including the development of scientific rationales or position papers on regulatory affairs.
- Develop and maintain adequate knowledge and understanding of the relevant EU legislations related to Chemicals Management.
- Sustainability and Environmental footprint are of growing concerns for the precious metals industry, therefore, some technical support in these fields could also be required.
- (s)he will interact with the EPMF team, EPMF membership and third parties (like consultants and laboratories).
- (s)he will interact with other non-ferrous metals consortia/associations and represent EPMF in different fora like Eurometaux. (S)he will coordinate regular feedback and updates to the EPMF members.
Required profile, competences, and skills:
- Master’s degree in science (like toxicology or ecotoxicology, chemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, engineering, etc.).
- Experience in an industrial context (company/association) or regulatory setting requiring to be able to find compromises between sometimes divergent interests.
- Five to ten years of professional experience in the chemical, inorganic or metal industry is required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. An ability to convey arguments in a diplomatic but credible and persuasive manner. Able to translate technically complex subjects into layman terms and concepts.
- Knowledge of the REACH and CLP regulations and associated processes is required.
- Interest in sustainability aspects like LCA or environmental footprint is an asset.
- Fluent in English (written and verbal); proficiency in other EU languages such as German and/or French is an advantage.
- Flexible mind-set, able to multi-task and to respond quickly to changing priorities. Comfortable to work with strict deadlines and under regulatory pressure.
- Willing to travel within the EU (mostly one-day trips; max. 5-10% of your time).
- PC-literate (MS Office suite).
- Proactive and open-minded, autonomous but also team player.
- Experience dealing with Confidential Business Information and competition law-sensitive information and to select, filter, aggregate, and anonymise it as relevant for collective purposes.
Terms and conditions, salary, and other benefits:
- Full time position and permanent contract.
- Position based in Brussels, although occasional travelling within the EU may be required.
- Working in a professional, international, and intercultural environment.
- Salary with extra benefits (pension, life, and hospitalisation insurances, meal and eco vouchers, amongst others).
EPMF does not make provision for any relocation costs.
Download the offer here
Please send your application and CV by 31 January 2024
to the attention of Ms France Capon, EPMF Secretary-General
by e-mail: email@example.com